Tuesday, January 5, 2010

No Shortage of Americans Willing to Help

Have you ever been doing something and the TV is just on in the background.  You aren't really paying attention, it's just there in the background.  Then, suddenly, you hear something that just makes you stop, if only for a few seconds?  That happened to me yesterday.  I was writing my blog, checking Facebook and Twitter, responding to emails, and watching something mindless (may I remind you that The Bachelor premiered last night on ABC but clearly I was watching another channel).  There was some kind of ad promoting NBC Nightly News, I think.  I heard Brian Williams say, "There's no shortage of Americans willing to help."  I have no idea what this was in reference to but it made me pause and and think if this was true.

By and large, my answer, was "Yes, that's true."  I started thinking about the thousands of wonderful people in the Miami Valley that help Dayton Children's. We are blessed to have thousands of people make donations every year, whether that gift was $10 or $100,000, people care.  Tonight, I am meeting with members of our TWIG (Terrific Women in Giving) Auxiliary.  Here's 350+ dedicated women who raise money for the hospital because they truly care about this place and want the very best for the children we serve.  They have fun doing their fundraisers because they care. 

In just one day, I was contacted by the Infinity Day Spa wanting to arrange a day to give moms a free mini manicure and mini pedicure.  I'm sure our staff will be disappointed that it's not for them but rather for the weary mothers who spend countless hours waiting patiently for their kids to heal.  The Centerville Noon Optimist Club, which raises $8,000 every year for our Comprehensive Cancer Care Center, has the ball rolling for their July "Tee Off for Youth Golf Outing."  The coordinators for Nativity The Pop Opera dropped off a check for $4,500 for our Needy Patient Fund and a framed poster signed by their entire cast.  Our 36-member Women's Board is working diligently on its 2011 CHA-CHA event.  PlayStation2 games arrived from anonymous supporters for our patients. And four retired doctors came back to have lunch together and tour our Soin Pediatric Trauma and Emergency Center renovation project.  Every day, there's a new phone call, a new request to do a fundraiser, a special visit, a tour, a gift...only because Americans care.

My job inspires me.  There are days when I'm hopping from project to project because there is so much happening.  That certainly is not a complaint.  It happens because our community cares about Dayton Children's, our patients, and the families we serve.  I am fortunate to see the side of humanity that truly does care and I'm honored to work for an institution that makes a difference for the health and healing of little ones.  It's a good day because, as Brian Williams said, there is no shortage of people who care.

No comments:

Post a Comment